Re: New member and pimped 2210D

Ronald Kelner

Greetings Bill:

1. Its not a Brush Hog it is a JD 413 48" rotary field mower. Definitely a difference between the two mowers. If I keep it at 2000 RPM (using PTO 1) it will easily handle thick pasture grasses up 6-8" height. I have cut up to 18" - 20" height but raise mower up and make multiple passes clipping 6" off at a time.

2. I suspect your cousin's kubota of similar size and HP to a 2210D can pull a two bottom plow because the kubota has a 4 cylinder engine. When it come to pulling a plow its not so much HP but torque that is the defining answer. Rule of thumb I was given: you go from two cylinders to three you have increased the torque by 1/2 = 50%. Likewise  two to four you double or 100% increase.
I would not attempt to pull even a 12" 2-bottom plow with your 2210D, my thought - over heating or burn the bearings out.

3. The blue disc in my photo has its place but not for regular field work. Its a 3-point hitch setup. So you disc only in a straight line  and the constant lifting and turning is fatigue and cumbersome leading to damage equipment. That being said it does have its place in small wildlife food plots say 60' by 200' where you can't or do not want to plow first. The combination of that heavy disc and ~ 350 lb weight allows it to cut right through the sod and drop 8" deep into the soil. Hit a plot for an hour a week over 4-6 weeks and it is ready for broadcast seeding or even a drill seeder. If not satisfied. I have a 5' 6-tooth Spring tooth that can cut down to 24" after the plot is disc up several times. That really works the soil up and would recommend one.

 4. Late last October I plowed up four small fields using a one bottom plow and it was fun at first, but eventually tedious and somewhat boring not to mention very time consuming. But when done very rewarding to look at what you have accomplished. Even more so when its planted and fully growing. I will use a 6' drill seeder to plant Little and Big Bluestem (4-6') also known as bunch grass this June or September. It is a dry cool season grass native to the Northern Great Plains and provides excellent habitat - cover and nesting for birds.

5. The loggers had picked up my other disc - a pull behind articulated style and broke it in half when hauling it with their massive grapple skidder (it made a full size one ton pickup look like a tonka toy).
I managed to repair the front half with the cutting discs and being a pull behind towed it across the fields in all different directions resulting in a better job of disking (more thorough), far less time consuming (higher speed, no stopping/lifting/dropping disk) and not nearly as exhausting.

Note: I did try the blue 3-pt hitch but it sunk down so deep in the air pockets beneath the plowed soil the 2210D could not pull it. I had to disconnect tractor and disc. Then using two 100' x 1"  cables used pickup to pull disc out of the plowed field then the tractor. Being so the much lighter the pull behind 1/2 disk worked far better and the only way I will go in the future on a plowed field.

Hope this helps.

Inline image

Inline image

Inline image

On Sunday, March 28, 2021, 08:50:33 PM CDT, Bill Pendergrass <rzbill@...> wrote:

Wow Ronald,
I have questions for you too!

I'll start with yours first. Temp gage.
Here's the link: Hoye temp gage
The old light is no longer connected.
The temperature sensor replaces the temperature switch that ran the light.
It looks like Hoye has changed the indicator gage from when I bought but that's unlikely to make any difference.
Yes the sensor thread may be BSPT but under 3/4" there is little practical difference from NPT. I think the Hoye piece is correct anyway.
So.. the hole in the dash. Like you, I inherited my dad's tools. I got a full set of greenlee panel punches.
It could be done with a hole saw. Run it slow and use some oil. It will smoke but that's ok.
Clean the hole edge with a file and sandpaper the best you can.
It's what I used before having the punches.

I had my tractor stop once. Light never went on that I noticed.  Still not sure it was an overheat but it probably was. Got the gage, changed how I use the PTO and all has been good even running the tractor hard.

Compression test. If you are concerned about cylinders. Get the tools or have it done. Does it start easy? Hard starting is a symptom of poor compression.

Next, price.  Kinda'  hard to tell. We bought around 2010. The price was a lump sum for the tractor, new FEL, 6 foot blade and 6 foot tiller.  Based on what I have seen for individual pricing of those things, I think we paid about the same as you for the tractor itself. Pretty close anyway.

So, I have questions for you.  First, I am amazed that the 2010D handles the bushhog.  I dont need one but I'm impressed. Are you running it in PTO 1st gear?

This leads to the second point. I'm also impressed with the disc harrow.  That looks very much the same as the one I used to pull as a kid on my grandpa's N model Ford.  So.. my current conundrum.  I want a bottom plow and I have not come to grips with whether the 2210D will pull a double like the Ford did. My cousin is pulling a double 16 with a Kubota of similar weight and only a couple of more HP.  I think the 2210D will but there is vague  commentary on the web that it will not.  It's an expensive experiment to find out.  There is a YouTube of a 1500 pulling a single just fine and fast too.

Join main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.