Topics

About that Great Bend 524 FEL

Jim

Hello all,

So I noticed that i will need to replace a hose on my front end loader.  Somehow when they installed a fairly newer hose it makes contact with the frame of the FEL and damaging the hose.  First question,  is there pressure on the lines when I disconnect the hose?  I have seen videos saying to push the control lever up or in the float position in order to release the pressure while the tractor is off.  I don't think there is a float position on mine.  Second question, does anyone have a Great bend FEL? It is my understanding they were bought out by bush hog in the late 90's and now parts are a tougher to find. Any insight would be much appreciated.  By the way,  is there anyone in South Carolina? Thanks!
--
Jim
YM165D

KC2GIU

Jim, YES, there is a person in SC that is strictly a fuel and hydraulic pump systems expert.
https://www.tractorforum.com/members/thepumpguysc.33256/

He's a premium member over at the TractorForum.com

And he can also guide you possibly to find parts too!

Steve

r. burgen

Hi Jim
First you need to figure out the hose diameter, and types down size of fitting on the ends (there are a bunch)
I wound up taking a (removed) hose to my local tractor place and "proved" which fittings I had.

I bought pre-made hoses and adaptors here:

Their prices (sadly) significantly beat local options.
"Swivel" connectors make your life easier.

There are anti-wear sleeves available for hoses. (Kinda like skinny, black canvas fire-hose stuff.

I simply slipped on a piece of pipe insulation (I had) and covered it with "100mph" (duct) tape. I'll keep an eye on it.

With the tractor OFF move the loader valve around. It'll be fine. When you fire it back up after hose replacement, the system should clear the air in the line without any issue.
Check the fluid level after if you want....

:))BOB

On Mar 18, 2021, at 3:25 PM, Jim <Jhwarrior6@...> wrote:

[...]

On Mar 18, 2021, at 3:55 PM, r. burgen <copcycle@...> wrote:

First you need to figure out the hose diameter, and types AND size of fitting on the ends (there are a bunch)
AND
SORRY ABOUT MY FAT-FINGERS
:))BOB

KC2GIU

Jim,

Not seeing a 524 on anything over there ....
https://parts.bushhog.com/category?link=3767

Steve

KC2GIU

Jim, the GB-524 was a custom for an OE brand tractor.  That is what the 500-Series is all about.  You would have to know WHO the brand was and then download the manual from that tractor manufacture.

Now, the Grand Bend, Bush Hog story keeps getting deeper.  It seems that the Alamo Group actually owns both of the companies.  With that said, some stayed with Bush Hog and others went to Alamo that makes the Rhino line of loaders. :)
https://alamo-group.com/sitemap.html
https://www.rhinoag.com/

The trail is so old, there isn't much on the internet to track down.  Even the old crumbs off the usenet are fragments, GeoCities is gone, Yahoo is gone, thus the trail in finding ANY loader info pre-1035 models is going to be very RARE. Hard to dig up pre-1997 data on the web anymore. Your search may end up on the WayBackMachine.org

The only backdoor way to get info might be thru Messicks.  Have your wallet out. :)
https://messicks.com/vendor/bush-hog/models/all

Steve

Jim

Edited

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 06:56 PM, r. burgen wrote:

[...]

 Awesome,  thanks Bob! I will give that a try.
Jim
YM165D

Jim

Thanks Steve.
--
Jim
YM165D

Jim

Yeah,  i checked bush hog but their fel line has been discontinued. The good news is the frame and the structure of the FEL seems solid and no signs of issues.  Another thing i noticed,  not only in the FEL but in the tractor itself is the multiple grease zerks. What kind of grease should i use? I'm sure I can figure that out when i get my manuals. I just thought someone may recommend something over the other. Thanks
--
Jim
YM165D

Scotty

Jim, your hydraulic system is technically an "open hydraulic system". Very basic. There is no device specifically for storing pressure when the engine is off.
The only way for pressure to be stored is in the cylinders themselves, and that can only happen if the FEL has been parked with some sort of load in it. I like to leave my tractor without any load on the hydraulic system, and here is how I do so:

With the tractor where I want to park it and the bucket a few feet off the ground, I turn off the engine and work the bucket lever to let the bucket droop  -just dangle - until the cutting edge is pointing to the ground. Then I take my hand off the bucket lever and work the other lever - the FEL lift arm lever -  back and forth until that drooping bucket edge is resting on the ground. At that point it all balances on the bucket edge but can't move because the tractor isn't moving. So there is little or no pressure trapped in the hydraulic cylinders.

As a bonus, the flat back of the bucket is now at a nice knee to waist height and level with the ground. Convenient as a work bench, for laying out tools, or just sitting on.

Now you can take your wrenches and disconnect any hose at both ends. Have a deep pan or 5 gallon pail handy because some oil will come out. Try to use two wrenches on each connection.... one to turn the hose fitting and one to back up whatever the hose fitting is attached to. That is simply good practice when dealing with any of this type of pressure fitting. BTW, the fittings themselves use a tapered compression fit and so are clean and snugged down but not over-tightened. You will lose some oil taking them off - not a lot, but messy - it runs out of the hose and some more will always drain out of the system. Expect a pint or so, Eventually you will probably figure out how NOT to soak your jeans and shoes, although I still do about every other time......

Now that you are holding the hose in your hand, drain it and take it down to your local hydraulic repair shop or Ag tractor dealer. Let him figure out what fittings you have. They make hoses all day long, have all the fittings, plus the special squeezing tool to put them on. The price of a replacement hose from the local independent hydraulic shop is half what the dealer charges and every bit as good.

You don't need any special parts from Great Bend for your FEL. All the cylinders, hoses, pins, bushings, and hydraulic parts and pieces are standard industrial components. If you do that kind of work yourself, you probably already order from McMaster-Carr. If not, just let the hydraulic shop do their thing.

BTW, hydraulic cylinders that need a rebuild can be treated the same way. Take them to the hydraulic repair shop. Sometimes they don't advertise. If you don't know where they are. ask a farmer or at the local JD or Ford/New Holland dealer. Chances are good the hydraulic shop is within walking distance.

While you have the hose off, consider ordering a roll of woven hydraulic hose sleeve from Amazon. I have been doing that for a couple years now. Do that - the 1" size seems about right for our little tractor - before putting the hose on, slide the sleeve over and use a couple of zip ties to hold it in place. The plan here is that eventually all the hoses will have sleeves on them to protect against abrasion and sun damage,
enjoy,
rScotty

On Mar 18, 2021, at 4:25 PM, Jim <Jhwarrior6@...> wrote:

[...]

For anywhere on the tractor or loader - especially areas I may touch - I now use John Deere multi-purpose SD Polyurea in the standard 14 oz, tube. I think it is TY6341. It is green - of course - and is compatible with every material and I think with all other greases. Plus it washes out of clothes. As good as any; priced right, use it pretty much everywhere. Grease compatibility with lithium base used to be a problem, but you will rarely see it today.

Ok... I confess to also using some black moly grease on the Deere 310 backhoe in only two special locations. It gets used on the backhoe swing plate bearing and TLB's front axle center pivot. That nasty stuff has its own grease gun and lives in its own plastic 5 gallon pail with a lid. Moly grease stains everything and never comes out - but it is the best lube in the world for very high pressure/high speed joints. No advantage to use it unless you have tracks and/or a big backhoe.

For zerk fittings you are on your own. They come in every shape and thread imaginable - metric, imperial, and british standard as well as special "zerk only" threads. Plus a bunch of self-tapping and press-in types. But all the ones I've seen have a top that will fit the same grease gun.
rScotty

On Mar 18, 2021, at 5:53 PM, Jim <Jhwarrior6@...> wrote:

Yeah,  i checked bush hog but their fel line has been discontinued. The good news is the frame and the structure of the FEL seems solid and no signs of issues.  Another thing i noticed,  not only in the FEL but in the tractor itself is the multiple grease zerks. What kind of grease should i use? I'm sure I can figure that out when i get my manuals. I just thought someone may recommend something over the other. Thanks
--
Jim
YM165D

Jim

Scotty,
Thanks so much, that is extremely helpful.  So just to be clear, after you've tuned the engine off the cutting edge of the bucket should be sitting in its straightforward position.  Then you tilt the bucket to droop. I will have to check but i think the last time i tried to tilt the bucket down with the engine off it didn't work. It let's me bring the whole fel down but not sure i can control the bucket itself after turning it off.

I have been doing something similar every time i shut it off because i don't want the FEL to rest on this disoriented and damaged hose. If the bucket is sitting on the ground at its normal position as if you were going to scoop some dirt, it would hit the hose. So i have to raise it up some and the best way to prevent it from falling down on it over time is to put the cutting edge straight down.

So,  I have the bucket cutting edge as the only thing on the ground after it is turned off. I bring the FEL down onto it to rest on it. I'll send a pic soon to show you what I mean.
--
Jim
YM165D

KC2GIU

rScotty,

Love how you go into the details.  On the website, there is a LIKE button.  But, it does nothing on the site right now.  Per GroupsIO, it's a future function.  I would hit the like 5X on many of your posts. :)

I got a great ear grin about the moly, in a bag in a 5-gal bucket.  Why?  I do the same thing.  Mine is the the Kendal Super Blue Moly.  And yes, it can get on things quickly.

Thanks for tip on the JD green grease.  I'll have to look around for that at the farm and tractors stores out my way.

BOB,

Like your advice too.

Someday a FEL is on my list.  Prices just keep going wild though.  In some instances, it's cheaper to buy an old tractor with the FEL as a whole for the price, swap the FEL and re-sell the tractor!  Others are doing just that.

Steve

Jim

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 07:44 PM, KC2GIU wrote:
[...]

 Steve,
Very interesting. Thank you.
--
Jim
YM165D

Scotty

I bet the bucket will droop without power - although it won't do anything else. After all, the pivot is at the back and the weight of the bucket cantilevered out in front so it should. But if not, I don't see any reason you couldn't point it down using hydraulics. The end result is the same. The important point is to wiggle the FEL control levers when done to let any residual pressure out.

The reason to point the cutting edge at the ground is so that the weight of the bucket is supported close as we can get it to being vertically below the pivot point of the bucket and with the mass distributed equally fore and aft of the vertical line. Or as my brother would say, "that way we minimize the sine component to the reactive force (of gravity)."

The FEL doesn't much care how long the hose is, or what path it takes. Might as well make the new one so it doesn't get damaged.
rScotty

On Mar 18, 2021, at 6:44 PM, Jim <Jhwarrior6@...> wrote:

[...]

For something as simple as a thickener plus some oil, I think there end up being as many favorite greases as there are sports & teams. For some reason the subject has always fascinated me.
Here's a primer on greases from JD.

On Mar 18, 2021, at 6:50 PM, KC2GIU <kc2giu@...> wrote:

[...]

I never realized there were that many types.  I did HVAC for 14 years and I can't remember the red colored grease we used for air handler squirrel cage bearings. Gonna have get a grease gun i suppose. Thanks Scotty!
--
Jim
YM165D