Brakes

Chris

how hard is it to fix the brakes on a D220?

[mods note: YM220D possibly]. 

Chris

Correction it’s a Y220

Thanks,
Chris

On Apr 9, 2021, at 8:38 AM, Chris <maropsllc@...> wrote:

how hard is it to fix the brakes on a D220?

[mods note: YM220D possibly]. 

BMaverick

Chris, 

I can't seem to find any machine of a Y220 in the Yanmar tractor categories.  Is this a backhoe or excavator then? 
--
Yanmar Tractor Owners Group.  A valuable source for owners of Yanmar tractors.

sheaftractor

I think this may be a Korean Yanmar.

From: main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io [mailto:main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io] On Behalf Of BMaverick
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 6:28 PM
To: main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io
Subject: Re: Brakes

Chris, 

I can't seem to find any machine of a Y220 in the Yanmar tractor categories.  Is this a backhoe or excavator then? 
--

Chris

It probably is Korean. I’m not sure it an older tractor and has a number stamped in the gear box 220-20855.

BMaverick

Chris, 

Could you take a few pix and attache them?  IT would help us help you. :) 

BMaverick 

--

BMaverick

Chris, 

Could you take a few pix and attache them?  It would help us help you. :) 

BMaverick 

--

KC2GIU

Len, 

I've heard of the Korean Yanmars.  There is a parts manual or two in the F-Series here.  I hope he can give you more info.  Bet you can find his parts better than we can figure it out.  :)   The model number is just an odd one.  Kukje is with an agreement to make tractors using Yanmar OE drawings and specs.  Basically, cloning from the OE documents.  Not sure if the engines are cloned or imported from Yanmar to make the Ag machines.  There isn't enough info in the news press released articles. 

When searching on a Yanmar Y220, (no M) this is the only thing that turns up.
http://twentywheels.com/view/10762-yanmar_y220_diesel_tractor_22hp_with_5_implements.html  

Steve 

Winston Linda Maberry

KC2GIU, I believe that is a YM220. 

Chris

Pictures

BMaverick

Chris, 

It was odd that the pixs you had sent didn't show up here on the website.  I had received them in a generic email.  I'll add them here.

And yes, you have a really nice YM220

--

Chris

How can I fix the brakes?

Winston Linda Maberry

sheaftractor

Are they dry or wet brakes?

From: main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io [mailto:main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Winston Linda Maberry
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 4:49 AM

Yanmar Tractor Brake repair Video (hoyetractor.com)

Scotty

So what's wrong with your brakes?   Most either won't grab, won't let go, or shudder. Most older Yanmars have simply dry brakes. From my years as a general mechanic, dry brake jobs are popular with mechanics because they are generally straightforward, but still require specialized shop tools and end up as a complete fix that pays well. 

The popularity of certain types of mechanical jobs used to used to count for a lot to shop mechanics. Fifty years ago many shop mechanics worked for a percentage of the labor bill. Not at all like today's type of employee setup with hourly wage rates & benefits. 

I've probably done most - not all - kinds of dry brake job. So have several others in this group. What's the model and what's wrong with yours?
rScotty

On Apr 13, 2021, at 6:16 AM, sheaftractor <sheaftractor@...> wrote:

From: main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io [mailto:main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Winston Linda Maberry

gyancey52

I had a witty comeback about brakes but there are so many people who get their feelings hurt over trivial things nowadays that I decided to pass.  Anyway good luck on getting your brakes fixed.  Aren't tractors fun?

From: main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io <main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io> on behalf of Scotty <roger@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 10:00:10 AM
To: main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io <main@yanmar-tractor-owners.groups.io>

So what's wrong with your brakes?   Most either won't grab, won't let go, or shudder. Most older Yanmars have simply dry brakes. From my years as a general mechanic, dry brake jobs are popular with mechanics because they are generally straightforward, but still require specialized shop tools and end up as a complete fix that pays well. 

The popularity of certain types of mechanical jobs used to used to count for a lot to shop mechanics. Fifty years ago many shop mechanics worked for a percentage of the labor bill. Not at all like today's type of employee setup with hourly wage rates & benefits. 

I've probably done most - not all - kinds of dry brake job. So have several others in this group. What's the model and what's wrong with yours?
rScotty

On Apr 13, 2021, at 6:16 AM, sheaftractor <sheaftractor@...> wrote:

Winston Linda Maberry

He has a YM220 and dry brakes. 

Scotty

That makes it easy. First thing is to take the backing plate cover off and see what the problem is. 

There was a problem a few years back where the owner posted about having brake shoes so rusted to the drums that the backing plate was hard to remove. That's not usually the case, although sometimes there is a slight wear lip in the drum that can make it necessary to pry on the brake cover plate a bit.  

On Apr 13, 2021, at 10:00 AM, Winston Linda Maberry <mabe1945@...> wrote:

He has a YM220 and dry brakes. 

Chris

Thank you all for the help! Winston- The video looks like it won’t be too awful hard for a novice... and I appreciate the help identifying the tractor and brake system!
Scotty-I’m sure these drums have never been seen since installation so I’m betting the rust is going to be substantial.
gyancey52- I got thick skin and appreciate the occasional jab! Fire away😂

Thanks,
Chris

BMaverick

Chris, 

For a 40+ year old machine, it's in fair shape.  Better than most really.  Wish we had a manual for this model number. 

We do have the Yanmar YM 3-digit electrical schematic manual for a majority of the models.  Noticed a missing fender signal light.  EZ to replace and/or update.

Welcome aboard.  Glad to have you part of the community and thanks for reaching out. 

BMaverick 
--