F16D PTO

vince.mont@...

Hi all, I own a Yanmar Forte F16D, that is a reliable functioning tractor. The PTO shaft seal and bearing was worn, allowing the output shaft to wobble, and hydraulic oil to spill out. Following the only advice I could obtain, I removed the shaft, from the rear of the gear case as recommended. Unfortunately, once the shaft was removed, a couple of spacers, that were only supported by the shaft, then fell down into the bottom of the gear case. Now it appears, that I need a manual to help me understand how I might disassemble the gear case to retrieve the items, and re assemble the PTO. Does anyone out there have any information, or the source of a shop manual that might help me get the PTO shaft reassembled to the tractor?

KC2GIU

Vince,

Welcome to the community.

We have a parts manual for the F14-F15 in the WIKI > RESOURCE PAGE > MANUALS section on the site.  It could shed some light on how things go together.
You are not the only person with an F16 either.  A few members here have one as well.

The community has a few parts dealers here too that can help.  The F and FX Series has the least amount of documentation.

Steve

Rich Williams

Try a magnet

On Sunday, April 25, 2021, 8:56 AM, KC2GIU <kc2giu@...> wrote:

Vince,

Welcome to the community.

We have a parts manual for the F14-F15 in the WIKI > RESOURCE PAGE > MANUALS section on the site.  It could shed some light on how things go together.
You are not the only person with an F16 either.  A few members here have one as well.

The community has a few parts dealers here too that can help.  The F and FX Series has the least amount of documentation.

Steve

vince.mont@...

Thanks Steve, I am terribly disappointed at the state that my repair attempt has left this machine in. Bad enough, that the parts fell off the shaft, but now they appear to be lost in the depth of the gear case. I will reference the resource page you mentioned.

vince.mont@...

HI Rich, Thanks for your input. The access to the parts that fell into the gear case, is limited only to the diameter of the hole in the transfer case left by the absent PTO shaft, with little room to fish around. Quite frustrating indeed. But your advice is valid, I might hang the magnet on a wire, to position it. However, I have no solution as to how I might position the parts, should I am able to retrieve them at all, in the PTO shaft path during re assembly. The parts that dropped, are larger in diameter that the hole for the PTO shaft! It is not possible the place them on the shaft, prior to assembly.

vince.mont@...

update.
I was wrong, the parts that fell into the gearbox, were not spacers, but gears, from the gear train. This tractor, has a three speed PTO, and the transmission gears were threaded over the PTO shaft. When  I pulled out the PTO shaft, the transmission gears fell to the bottom of the gearbox.  The correct process, for removing the PTO shaft, is to first disassemble the top of the transfer case, and remove it. That cover is above the PTO shaft. Once that cover is removed, the gearbox is accessible for repair. Sorry for the confusion. Once I find a bearing and rear seal, I can re assemble the tractor.

BMaverick

Vince,

Are you taking pixs as you go.  Who knows, you might help others out down the road with the same model or one with the same PTO and gear case.
Just a thought.

BMaverick
--
Yanmar Tractor Owners Group.  A valuable source for owners of Yanmar tractors.

vince.mont@...

yea, but new here. where can I post them?

r. burgen

I think you can simply attach them to an email(s) and reply to this thread.
Your email will be delayed pending moderator approval because of the pics.
:))BOB

On Apr 26, 2021, at 5:12 PM, vince.mont via groups.io <vince.mont@...> wrote:

yea, but new here. where can I post them?

vince.mont@...

great, when I get a few more pics, we shall see how that works.

vince.mont@...

hi all, these are a few photos of the disassembled transfer case for my YANMAR FORTE F16D tractor. Basically, I removed the fenders, to access the nuts, that held down the gear case cover. Then the hydraulic hoses were disconnected. Finally, the flow control valve, located at the front of the gear case cover was removed. As shown in the photos, the PTO drive and associated pinion shaft is now accessible for repair.

Kim Ryder

Nice documentation!

On Apr 27, 2021, at 12:45 PM, vince.mont via groups.io <vince.mont@...> wrote:

hi all, these are a few photos of the disassembled transfer case for my YANMAR FORTE F16D tractor. Basically, I removed the fenders, to access the nuts, that held down the gear case cover. Then the hydraulic hoses were disconnected. Finally, the flow control valve, located at the front of the gear case cover was removed. As shown in the photos, the PTO drive and associated pinion shaft is now accessible for repair.  <60A0C91F-2D21-49BF-8F74-FC4CDAD067ED.jpeg><0DACA844-8F15-456E-B0D9-8684EE060130.jpeg><48F393DD-707F-4130-834F-E41EC976FDEB.jpeg><C51077A6-2415-4A17-BC74-BAD067E94710.jpeg><9E120F8D-05A8-418C-9568-55F4A1CD3F07.jpeg><7EA0EFBF-5BF0-4379-B5A2-D39DD1099DBF.jpeg><29F750F6-2883-47B3-832E-4CF594BFF8F9.jpeg><757C05FD-07C3-42A3-BA20-53035173B30C.jpeg>

J Z

Thanks a bunch. Really appreciated this. I do not have to do this but nice to know if I do there is a reference.

BMaverick

Vince,

Did any of the F14 - F15 Parts manual help?  What about the F5, F6, F7 Parts Manual?  I see the nice gears you had fished out.
Parts Manuals have those nice part diagrams showing how things go together.

Karl made a nice OPS manual for your machine.  You will need to just cut-n-paste in a web translator of Czech Republic to English.
For Tractor Ernie, I did translate the F235 earlier this year.  Karl has made so many of these OPS manuals for the gray market tractor industry.

See the OPS F-FX 16 manual attached.  Under 2Mb.

BMaverick

--
Yanmar Tractor Owners Group.  A valuable source for owners of Yanmar tractors.

vince.mont@...

Thank you for the reference material. The parts manual for those tractors, you mention, are not similar enough to be of much help. The OPS manual, that Karl provided, won’t open!  I am working from an I-Pad, and that may be the problem.  A parts diagram would helpful though, to show part location, and orientation. I believe that re assembling the PTO shaft, and associated gears, will be self explanatory, once I start the reassembly process, as the gears must mesh, and align with an overhead pinion shaft.  Also, there is a shifting fork, that will only engage the gear train, if the gears are positioned correctly.

BMaverick

Vince,

Good work.

Every time I go looking on the web for anything F16, I end up with fighter aircraft.  And FX16 that is related turns up special effects in hollywood.

As for Karl's PDF, I can still open it up in an older Adobe 8.0 pre-DC era reader.  Also, I have the language pack add-ons for displaying the right fonts too.

BMaverick
--
Yanmar Tractor Owners Group.  A valuable source for owners of Yanmar tractors.

vince.mont@...

Thanks for the kind words. I ordered the parts to re assemble the PTO. When I get them I will finish the project, and send some photos of the finished job.

Wally Plumley

Google has eliminated the option to limit your searches. In days gone by, you could add a term preceded by a minus symbol (-) and Google would not show results with that term. That doesn't work any more, as you might have discovered, and that sucks. Luckily, there is an answer.

Try using "Duck-Duck-Go", and searching for f16 - aircraft -fighter and see if the results are any better. In addition, you will be tracked a lot less...

Wally

On 4/28/2021 9:16 PM, BMaverick wrote:
Vince,

Good work.

Every time I go looking on the web for anything F16, I end up with fighter aircraft.  And FX16 that is related turns up special effects in hollywood.

As for Karl's PDF, I can still open it up in an older Adobe 8.0 pre-DC era reader.  Also, I have the language pack add-ons for displaying the right fonts too.

BMaverick
--
Yanmar Tractor Owners Group.  A valuable source for owners of Yanmar tractors.

George Mason

Hi Wally

I think maybe the problem is the syntax you're using - you have to put the minus next to the thing to exclude with no space - at least that works fine here in the UK: https://www.google.com/search?q=f16+-aircraft+-fighter&safe=active

Attached a screenshot of what I get

HTH!

George

Google has eliminated the option to limit your searches. In days gone by, you could add a term preceded by a minus symbol (-) and Google would not show results with that term. That doesn't work any more, as you might have discovered, and that sucks. Luckily, there is an answer.

Try using "Duck-Duck-Go", and searching for f16 - aircraft -fighter and see if the results are any better. In addition, you will be tracked a lot less...

Wally

_,_._,_