Topics

Those OEM Service Binders

Scotty

Yes, I hear you. Those Original US model RED PLASTIC 3-ring service binders printed in multi-color on heavy gloss paper were the best.... and yes, they were expensive at the time, too. I've no doubt there are all kinds of counterfeits out there on Ebay now so beware when buying. A good copy should have a lot of section dividers. Ask for photos.

But for our group, shouldn't it be possible to do some scanned copies as good as the originals? I wonder what it would take to make some really good scanned copies? Copies that would do justice to the originals. I would love to see that vintage USA service info available to all the new owners of vintage machines.

There were also other types of literature from Yanmar back in the vintage USA dealer days, Sales and advertising brochures plus Yanmar published a number of short booklets on how to set up the attachments that they offered. For mowers, tillers, and hoes and such.

 I have also heard they had a more general technical series used in their factory school. The only one of those I have actually seen and read was a pamphlet that must have been for their tractor electrical course.  It was a sort of design discussion of the evolution of Yanmar's tractor electrical systems - complete with theory and some math.

Some general tractor history....At the time Yanmar started in the US, John Deere was well known for their "Fundamentals of Service" or FOS booklets which covered mechanical details common to all their tractors. The FOS books were used by Ag schools as textbooks. We used them at HS. That kind of effort had made JD the leader in a very competitive market, and at the time I wondered if Yanmar was trying to immulate what JD had done. This was all a decade or more before Yanmar started building tractors for JD.
rScotty

On Mar 15, 2021, at 11:59 AM, KC2GIU <kc2giu@...> wrote:

rScotty,

Great advice!

About those RED binder 3-ring Service Manuals, still use caution.  The binders may be of great quality, but the pages on the inside could be a reproduction of a bad reproduction.  And they may not come with section dividers.   It's the only reason why I mentioned Hoye and Fredricks vs a possible reproduction eBay type.  Sure there are good originals on eBay, just got to find and verify.

JD303 was based on whale oil lubrication.  And whaling has been banned globally.  45+ states also have a ban on anything even labeled as JD303.  So, you are 100% right, JD303 doesn't exist anymore.
Hy-gard J20C most temp range or J20D really cold and high altitude range.   The only issue using 10W30 straight in the hydraulics, no friction modifiers, thus, things will slip often when the FEL is left sitting upwards over a period of time.  No leaks, just that the FEL will drop, likewise the 3PT arms will lower over time too. And the JD20C and J20D have anti-bacterial growth inhibitors to keep the nasty things from eating the oil and making scum in the system. :)   So, I like your info using the JD20C spec'ed oils.  Even the universal oils that meet or exceed the J20C are good too.  Just need to VERIFY.

I will back you up 100% on the importance to keep the hydraulic filter screens clean.  Once these get filled up, the tractor's 3PT isn't working, the FEL stops, and with the PowerShift, the tractor just sits there stranded.
Sooooooo, best to do a drain and save of the fluid and clean the screen.  Then refill with the fluid again.  I do this every Spring now.

Bummer you lost the YM336 info too. I've seen the pixs of your posted flooding.  Amazing that more wasn't lost.

Steve

KC2GIU

rScotty mentioned, But for our group, shouldn't it be possible to do some scanned copies as good as the originals? I wonder what it would take to make some really good scanned copies? Copies that would do justice to the originals. I would love to see that vintage USA service info available to all the new owners of vintage machines.

rScotty,

Yes, that would be awesome!  However, we as a community have very few.

We are truly thankful for those members who either scanned or located PDF versions for us.
YANMAR YM135 YM155 SERVICE MANUAL AOD1048.pdf
YANMAR YM169 SERVICE MANUAL AOD1955-8807.pdf
YANMAR YM195 SERVICE MANUAL F007E.pdf
YANMAR YM195 YM240 YM330 SUPP SERVICE MANUAL.pdf
YANMAR YM240 Hydraulic Service Manual YT7707-165E.pdf
YANMAR YM276 SERVICE MANUAL 3T84HA.pdf

Yet, there are many more out there not yet in the community to share.
Known are the following yet to obtian:
GT14 - very rare and presently on eBay for a steep price.  It may be under 41812-041080
YM122, 142, 126, 146 - might be SME1460(1)8309
YM140, 147 - might be SME1670(1)8403
YM165 - might be SME1650(0)8210
YM180 - might be SME1800(3)8802
YM186 - might be 41812-041010
YM187 - might be SME1870(1)8409
YM220, 226 - might be 41812-041041
YM240 - w/o 4WD might be AOD1049
YM330 - might be SME3300(1)8201
YM336 - might be 41812-041030

And the supplementals
POWER TRAIN SERVICE MNL AOD10318905
ROPS122/46 INST. MNL 12617-300-787
ROPS, ALL INST. MANUAL 13393-1500
TROUBLE SHOOTING AOC104OK9002
YANMAR SAFETY MANUAL 41812-121021

There is a listing for diesel fuel injection pumps with methods to repair or by a kit with the manuals. We have no idea what models are used in the YM series.  We may already have them, but not a clue the series.

Thank you for bringing this topic up,

Steve

Scotty

Well, I think that's a good offer but for me it sort of depends on what they are. I suggest lets wait & see what you get,
Hmmm... nice offer....but....

Shaeffer, Hoye, & Fredericks have all done a lot of good for the old time Yanmar hobbyists. Let's hold on  a minute.

If this literature is is something that the seller has put a lot of time into writing or effort putting together then I think he should get to be the exclusive seller. Or at least recover a nice profit for doing the repro. & making it available.

However, if they are just digital copies of Yanmar literature, then that is something that is probably public domain* by now. And it is also exactly the kind of thing that all of us have been sharing on this and other previous web sites for decades now.

But that's just my own opinion, anyone else?

*public domain is an interesting subject, I know little about how it applies to shop manuals, but a lot about how it applies to patents.

rScotty

On Mar 16, 2021, at 2:26 PM, Jhwarrior6@... wrote:

Scotty/Steve,

I would be happy to scan in the manuals i get for the 165d if they are legit.

--
Jim H.
YM165D

Kim Ryder

Good point, Scotty.

I, for one, would hate to try and pull together what little knowledge I have without the help of this and other gray market Yanmar groups as well as Hoyes and Fredericks (haven’t checked out Schaeffer). Yes, the manuals that I purchased from one of them are a reproduction and some portions are hard to decipher…but the information is there as best as it could have been compiled.
Did I search online for the manuals—sure did, but in the end it came down to my choice to support those who support our community.
Not by any means a “judgement” (I have no room to do so!), as I have grabbed service manuals from anyplace I could in the past…

Kim

On Mar 16, 2021, at 8:22 PM, Scotty <roger@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim

Kim/Scotty,

Understood.  You all would know better than I. I frankly can't find anything online, at least not accurate enough for me to trust.
--
Jim H.
YM165D

KC2GIU

rScotty,

Exactly.  We post the old Yanmar manuals because the Japanese copyright laws are for 20 years.  However, those were updated in the past decade.

Additionally, should Yanmar post manuals on their website(s), we can snag those too as showing them being on the internet to the general public globally.

Hoye also have a wonder technical Yanmar knowledge article section.  It would be smart for folks to save those as PDF for personal and future reference.  However, be advised, Hoye can make changes to any of their documents at anytime.  So, read them carefully, and ask yourself, did Hoye miss anything?  Don't just jump into a never tried by you project going by something else.  Evaluate it all.  Aaron and his people are really smart folks.  Likewise the Fredricks Team with the full UTDA network of dealers.  They know Yanmar past and present!

From our records, There isn't anything of a Hoye or Fredricks or other 3rd party manuals in our manual database.

Now, older former dealers (1995 - 2011) like LMTC, RCO, and the like, one can scout the WayBackMachine and pull those documents for FREE too.  We have an offline collection of these things, but the manpower of time to sort thru it all would be huge.

Now, for well over a year, there was a request in 2019 for the YRS snowblow 48-inch manual.  This past weekend, the 51 and 63 were found!  The only difference is the auger the the sheet metal box for size.  Ber-Vac was bought out 2X and the new owners are a global group of RADTech.  So, even though it was a slow process like almost 3 years, we got a bit of info.  When the YM2210 manual was found one person replied frantically with a huge thanks as he was looking for more than 6 years !!!

There are MANY old manuals on eBay.  The trouble is, they are getting fewer and fewer.  Some cost a few dollars and others 100s of dollars.  No rhyme or reason for the wild pricing.  And a few eBay'ers are making photo reproduction's of the original or a copied original.   It would be nice to have some of the lower costed manuals obtained and added new here.  One would have to request if we have it already though. :)

OK, getting long winded again.

Steve