Topics

Yanmar tractor history blogger site in Japan #yanmar

KC2GIU

Yanmar community,

Over the years, I would visit this blog as thing had been added.  However navigating wasn't too robust.

Google translate now works nicely with the site.
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=https://oba-shima.mito-city.com/tag/yanmar/

Best to navigate the site from the link by reading/viewing the page, then near the bottom pick the next page number to move forward.
Otherwise, without the page number at the bottom, the other links will put you on rabbit hole trails. LOL

There is a wealth of history there about our machines pre-export.  Our machines were not for just rice-paddy work alone.
Get glimpses of data sheets, specifications, how models were upgraded into other models, etc.  There is a method to what Yanmar did over the years.

Now, there is a sitemap link.  It takes a good deal of time to load under Google Translate.  Just wait for it to finish.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Foba-shima.mito-city.com%2Fsitemap%2F

Enjoy, and get to know your Yanmar or Mitsubishi or Hinomoto or Iseki or other brand way better!

Steve

Scotty

That's a fascinating link, Steve. Thank you so much.

I went directly to the link without reading through your message to the end.....and promptly fell down one of the rabbit holes. Only after extricating myself an hour later did I read the warning you had included.....

My US Yanmar dealer in the 70s/80s was fascinated by things Japanese and spent a lot of time visiting the factory and talking to people over there. He was particularly interested in the difference of Yanmar's business philosophy as a private family-owned business compared with their competition who were mostly corporate entities.

He said that one consequence was that the Yanmar CEO tended to be a member of the owning family, and that position gave him tremendous resources to devote to his personal hobbies. At the time his hobbies included an interest in mechanizing small farms on difficult terrain, sport fishing, and also aquaculture - which I believe is the raising of fish and aquatic vegetables during part of the growing season.

So it was no surprise 40 years ago when I read that Yanmar had just developed and was marketing some really exotic fishing boat electronics. Including some sort of radar especially for the hi end sport fisherman's yachts.
What an era that was!
Thanks again. What a nice resource this is becoming.
rScotty

On Feb 28, 2021, at 2:00 PM, KC2GIU <kc2giu@...> wrote:

[...]

rScotty,

Glad you are enjoying it. :)

I've managed to reach page 51 now.  Learned some neat stuff up to this point.

One thing I have noticed, the author of the blog keeps coming back to the YM series time and time again.  It's a series that is hard to beat.

Each night I scan thru a few pages.  At times, I tend to open in a new tab a rabbit hole link just for fun.

The blogger is actually a caretaker of the Japan historical Ag museum.  So, those images of documents and photos are purely original right from the brochures and in the protected cases.  Glad this site exists.  I can't afford a vacation to Japan to tour the museum.

Steve