Topics

YM187d part manual (service manual also)

Dick Mellon

I need a part number for the YM187d rear axle hubs.
 Thanks

KC2GIU

Dick,

Welcome!

The YM187 manuals are hard to find. eBay or Hoye or Fredricks Equipment at the present time.

We have the cover page.  Should one find it's way to us, we can get it up on the site storage.

Steve

KC2GIU

Dick,

The only manual we have at present for the YM187 is this:

YM180-D YM187-D YPS Power Steering Manual.pdf

The was a TBN member donation.  I just added it to the Manuals section looking to see if we had anything in the queue.

Steve

Winston Linda Maberry

Pretty sure it is 194200-34711 but no proof. Shares the same with the 155, maybe others. REAR AXLE HUB ASSEMBLY: Yanmar Tractor Parts (hoyetractor.com)

KC2GIU

Good find Winston.  The p/n 194200-34711 shows up in the Fredricks PDF parts catalog.  It would be best to call their Parts/Service number to verify. :)

That p/n also has a direct cross reference to Kubota too.

Bummer we don't have a lick of anything on the YM187 other than a tad bit of info for the power steering unit.

Hoye has a really nice write up on how to take them off and put a new set on in this tech article.
Yanmar Rear Axle Seal Replacement (hoyetractor.com)
Hoye has this ...  REAR AXLE HUB ASSEMBLY: Yanmar Tractor Parts (hoyetractor.com)  Need to call if it would work. :)
Could be Winston's same link.

Steve

Dick Mellon

Thanks, that number -34711 is on all the eBay listings under YM187d hub search but it’s a 1.750 hex shaft, no other dimension given. Mine has a 1.810 + hex. Hoye has huh-347 as you posted for a 187 but their $100 more for 2,more expensive then eBay sellers. They would like a yanmar no. to research it.
I need them before they ruin my axle, I’ll probably have to go with Hoye.
Want to make wheel adapters to mount 16” 8 x 16 r1 tires on 8 hole on 6.5 BC to weird 6 bolt yanmar 4.724 bolt circle. Unless I can find 16” wheels to fit. Tires were bought mounted.

Thanks again

   DICK

Winston Linda Maberry

Edited

Something amuck. If you input the part number in the Hoye search field that is what is brought up and also it is the one showing under their listing for the 187. I doubt it possible for the same part number to have two different shaft sizes. Somebody has got the part number wrong. Least that is my opinion. Also very possible two different options on the 187, my research showed different options on some other models. I would confirm with whoever you order from to confirm your shaft size. Also very interesting to me about the 1.750" shaft. Never have seen anything in inches on a Yanmar?

Dick Mellon

I checked fredricks again, they don’t have any hubs for 187 and it’s difficult to find, no search function. I sent them an inquiry. I think hoye told me back a few years ago that their hub was 1.830 or so and I thought that was to much clearance. Some Kobotas have a clamp screw built into the hub, that would eliminate slop. This only issue I’ve had. What kind of hubs do they have on later models?
 Thanks

Winston Linda Maberry

Quite a few later models don't have hubs, just a flange made on to the axle, others have a splined axle. I know the price may not be what your looking for but I would trust Hoye to have the correct  hub for your tractor.

Wally Plumley

Obviously you will need to check - but I have heard that six-lug Chevy pickup wheels will fit.

Wally

On 3/20/2021 6:55 AM, Dick Mellon via groups.io wrote:
Thanks, that number -34711 is on all the eBay listings under YM187d hub search but it’s a 1.750 hex shaft, no other dimension given. Mine has a 1.810 + hex. Hoye has huh-347 as you posted for a 187 but their $100 more for 2,more expensive then eBay sellers. They would like a yanmar no. to research it.
I need them before they ruin my axle, I’ll probably have to go with Hoye.
Want to make wheel adapters to mount 16” 8 x 16 r1 tires on 8 hole on 6.5 BC to weird 6 bolt yanmar 4.724 bolt circle. Unless I can find 16” wheels to fit. Tires were bought mounted.

Thanks again

   DICK

r. burgen

Dick,
Since your YM187D is 4x4, you should take great care when changing tire sizes.  There has been a lot of (excellent) previous discussion here about the importance of determining and coordinating the "rolling circumference" of the front and rear tires.
:)) BOB

On Mar 20, 2021, at 3:55 AM, Dick Mellon via groups.io <puter413@...> wrote:

Thanks, that number -34711 is on all the eBay listings under YM187d hub search but it’s a 1.750 hex shaft, no other dimension given. Mine has a 1.810 + hex. Hoye has huh-347 as you posted for a 187 but their $100 more for 2,more expensive then eBay sellers. They would like a yanmar no. to research it.
I need them before they ruin my axle, I’ll probably have to go with Hoye.
Want to make wheel adapters to mount 16” 8 x 16 r1 tires on 8 hole on 6.5 BC to weird 6 bolt yanmar 4.724 bolt circle. Unless I can find 16” wheels to fit. Tires were bought mounted.

Thanks again

   DICK

Scotty

OK, here is where the change to the hub took place. The YM186 and YM187 models were very similar. I checked the YM187/D OEM parts book against this tech bulletin, and the part number given for the updated YM186 rear hub is also used for the YM187 models. The older hub is the 19446-34710 and the newer hub is the 194305-34720. Both new and old hubs are interchangeable.

I'm not sure why the hubs were changed. The new hub is fancier looking, but does nothing to correct the problem dealers were having at the time. What was happening - and what the dealers wanted fixed - was that the rear hubs tended to wobble on the axle shaft. Part of that was poor design, and part because because the jam bolt Yanmar intended to be used as a set screw to take up the axle-to-hub slop was not torqued down properly or perhaps had loosened. For a simple fix, the threaded hole can be re-tapped or moved to the other side of the hub.

It was common to see tractors come in missing that jam bolt entirely, and with the pin&cotter replaced with a long thru-bolt and nut.... which of course did nothing to keep the wheel from wobbling. The thru bolt can't compress the hub; it was just acting same as the missing pin to hold the hub/wheel&tire assembly from falling off the end of the axle......

This type of hub-to-axle attachment was common to a lot of the small Asian compact tractors at the time. It wasn't at well suited to US tractoring or US tractor owners. Neither the original hub nor the replacement hub solved the problem properly.
rScotty

On Mar 20, 2021, at 6:18 AM, Winston Linda Maberry <mabe1945@...> wrote:

Quite a few later models don't have hubs, just a flange made on to the axle, others have a splined axle. I know the price may not be what your looking for but I would trust Hoye to have the correct  hub for your tractor.

Winston Linda Maberry

Interesting that Hoyes doesn't show that part number under the 187 but they do stock that part number. Shown under 194305-34720:  REAR AXLE HUB: Yanmar Tractor Parts (hoyetractor.com)
Shown under 187 listing: REAR AXLE HUB ASSEMBLY: Yanmar Tractor Parts (hoyetractor.com)

Scotty

Hoye seems to show both the newer and older hub styles. Yanmar says they are interchangeable.
Note that both take two bolts/springs/washers per hub, but that's not shown in the Parts Book illustration.
Hoye's catalogue illustration shows the bolt and spring, but not the unusually thick washer.

I'm glad we are going through this hub in detail because the same basic hub design is used on many vintage Yanmars.

Parts description/number quantity
Descriptions below refer to parts book illustration I posted yesterday

#9 in illustration -  bolt - IC6140-25210  (4) per tractor
#19 in illustration -  spring, hub - 1A1040-36040 IC6140-25210  (4) per tractor
#20 in illustration -  washer 16 - 22117-160000 (4) per tractor

#17 in illustration -  Pin 10 x 78, wheel hub  194200-34750 (2) per tractor
#25 in illustration -  snap pin 10 22360-100000 (2) per tractor

Note: Most Japanese bolts use JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard), but Yanmar uses YIS (Yanmar Industrial Standard)
I don't have a copy of the YIS (does anyone?) but assume the bolt & pin are special hardened alloy steel.
For bolts that would be an 8.8 or 9.8 stamped on the head. The pin doesn't take any stress unless the bolts loosen up.
The washer is standard, but the spring is very stout. It would be nice if someone would measure theirs.
enjoy,
rScotty

On Mar 21, 2021, at 6:06 AM, Winston Linda Maberry <mabe1945@...> wrote:

Interesting that Hoyes doesn't show that part number under the 187 but they do stock that part number. Shown under 194305-34720:  REAR AXLE HUB: Yanmar Tractor Parts (hoyetractor.com)
Shown under 187 listing: REAR AXLE HUB ASSEMBLY: Yanmar Tractor Parts (hoyetractor.com)

KC2GIU

rScotty,

We just uploaded the YM2000B YM2000BZ Parts Manual.  At the VERY back (last pages) of this manual are MANY of the YIS bolts and other fastener hardware.  I thought, why is this in here?  This tractor can't possibly use every one of these.  Then reading some of the pages, I had seen the YM240 and other tractor models in that index.  It was a bit bizarre.  Possible cross reference the YM187 p/n's to that index for descriptions?

I had spent 2 hours last night in another engine manual trying to translate how engine model designations work.  It was somewhat fascinating.  It had a listing of 12 YM models and how to read the engine codes and the upgrades (new part revisions).  I didn't know there are YM2700R, YM2700L, YM2700A till I saw that.  And there are other models in that realm too.

Steve

Dick Mellon

Hi rScotty
 Thanks for your research into YM187d issues! The set screw springs are 1”< x 1 1/4” long. The bolts on mine are
5/8”nc, probably retapped. No one selling mentions the 6 bolt, bolt circle or bolt size. My bolt are .465”, 12 mm
I guess , there marked 10.9, BC is 4.724. Hoye on their HRH-347 states you must use there screws, why? They seen to be the same as old hub. When I talked to hoye, years ago they measured the hex at my request and it was
About .20+ larger then my hex shaft. I thought that was way to much slop. Why start wilt a rock. But now I need to act before I damage my axles.
 eBay has many hubs for other Yanmars but with 1.75 hex and they don’t mention the BC or  mounting bolt size.
Im going to pass on the part number to the 3 suppliers I’ve texted with, to see what they can come up with. They all asked for that info.
Southern tractor and others are using 194305-34720 as a hub for a YM187d-187d, it’s confusing ain’t it?
 Anyway I really appreciate the help!
  Dick

Dick Mellon

Chevy Colorado 2012 on seem to be the same bolt circle, 6 lug but the center hole is to small.

Scotty

That's great news. We could probably find real spec numbers for the bolt circle and such if we knew where to look.
Does the Center Hole on a YM187d need to be any special size?
rScotty

On Mar 30, 2021, at 5:13 PM, Dick Mellon via groups.io <puter413@...> wrote:

Chevy Colorado 2012 on seem to be the same bolt circle, 6 lug but the center hole is to small.

r. burgen

The bolt circle described is 6x139.7mm
ie. 6 hole x 5.5" circle.
With the rim diameter, width and center bore spec. you could find a list of vehicles that use it.
There's also offset, but for our purposes that’s probably not critical.
Bob

On Mar 30, 2021, at 5:25 PM, Scotty <roger@...> wrote:

Chevy Colorado 2012 on seem to be the same bolt circle, 6 lug but the center hole is to small.

Wally Plumley

Older six-lug American wheels were pretty much standard, except that GM used a slightly smaller center hole than Ford and Chrysler, and some of the lug bolts were slightly different sizes. I think that Ford or Chrysler wheels should bolt on. Eight-lug wheels were the same way.

Wally