YM 165D Shifter issue

Jim

Edited

Hi guys,

I just got done replacing my shifter gasket on the shifter flange for my YM165D. It had been seeping fluid since I bought it. It was a pretty straightforward job but now the shifter is hard to move from left to right. It moves freely from reverse to 1st and 2rd to 3rd. It is just the transition from left to right. I got the gasket from Hoye and the new gasket seemed to be thinner than the old one. Could that little difference in space make it sort of bind itself up. Essentially, in my mind's eye, when I tighten down the screws the shifter is slightly farther down because the gasket is thinner maybe making it harder to move from left to right. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks!
--
Jim
YM165D

Kevin Catoe

On my 1401D I had to get gasket material and make my own because I had same issue and thicker did fix it

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 6:03 PM, Jim
<Jhwarrior6@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi guys,

I just got done replacing my shifter gasket on the shifter flange for my YM165D. It had been seeping fluid since I bought it. It was a pretty straightforward job but now the shifter is hard to move from left to right. It moves freely from reverse to 1st and 2rd to 3rd. It is just the transition from left to right. I got the gasket from Hoye and the new gasket seemed to be thinner than the old one. Could that little difference in space make it sort of bind itself up. Essentially, in my mind's eye, when I tighten down the screws the shifter is slightly farther down because the gasket is thinner maybe making it harder to move from left to right. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks!

--
Jim
YM165D

Jim

Ok great,  then I'm not losing my mind.  What type of gasket material did you use? Thanks Kevin!
--
Jim
YM165D

Kevin Catoe

Just bought a sheet of fairly thick stuff from auto part store can't even remember which one

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 6:37 PM, Jim
<Jhwarrior6@...> wrote:
Ok great,  then I'm not losing my mind.  What type of gasket material did you use? Thanks Kevin!
--
Jim
YM165D

Scotty

No comment.  But try simply loosening the screws to see if it helps.
BTW, this is one of the few times in 25 years of tractor forums that I've seen anyone discuss a YM165D. 
If you have a loader and turf tires, did you ever find yourself wishing for power steering? 

On Apr 8, 2021, at 4:37 PM, Jim <Jhwarrior6@...> wrote:

--
Jim
YM165D

Jim

Scotty,

Yes, loosening the screws helps but it also leaks fluid.  I'll get some gasket material and go from there.  I don't know if the lack of people discussing the YM165D is a good thing or bad thing. Yes,  i have a loader and turf tires and i wished there was power steering but once i get going its ok.

Jim
YM165D

BMaverick

Jim, 

It's nice we have at least the Parts Manual for your model.

Tossed in the shifter diagram for others to understand the conversation. 

BMaverick 

--
Yanmar Tractor Owners Group.  A valuable source for owners of Yanmar tractors.

Jim

Good idea to bring the diagram in.  It is a little difficult for someone unfamiliar to understand. So part number 28-26 is the gasket I was referring to.  I think Kevin is right though.  The gasket thickness is vital for the shifter to maneuver smoothly. I will test it out and let y'all know. 
--
Jim
YM165D

Kim Ryder

I definitely wished for power steering with turf tires and a loader! When I first saw the ad for the soon to be my “new” tractor, I assumed it was 4-wheel drive, based on the fact that most small import tractors I had seen were 4wd, and based on the large, aggressive tread tires on the front. But no, the previous owner put the heavy duty tires on there to help ensure that the tire capacity wasn’t a weak link when using the loader,
Compared to my really crude and larger Belarus (Vladimeric T25A), my 2210 seemed like a beast to turn.
Came really close to purchasing a power steering kit (looked at the kits from Hoye and Jackson) before someone on the TBN mentioned the differential lock—mine was stuck on. After freeing it, the 2210 was much more in line with what I would have expected with a manual steering tractor. Not a breeze, but certainly something I could live with.

Kim

On Apr 8, 2021, at 7:07 PM, Scotty <roger@...> wrote:

No comment.  But try simply loosening the screws to see if it helps.
BTW, this is one of the few times in 25 years of tractor forums that I've seen anyone discuss a YM165D. 
If you have a loader and turf tires, did you ever find yourself wishing for power steering? 

On Apr 8, 2021, at 4:37 PM, Jim <Jhwarrior6@...> wrote:

--
Jim
YM165D

BMaverick

Kim, 

WOW.  I just searched for Jackson and got amazed by their product line.  Sure, they specialize with the older Fords, yet this page of product offerings would offer solutions for Yanmars and John Deeres. 
Jackson Power Steering | Archive | Steering Components 

Thank you for providing the hint!  

Anyone else used Jackson's products here in the community?  Feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

I know as we get older, turning that wheel isn't as nice when once young.  

Yanmar offered OE PS one a few models, both US and gray market made machines.  There is a design flaw for 'leaks'.  Even the Hoye kits are not sold anymore or just the longest out-of-stock listings on their site.  

I watched a M-F retrofitted with PS, but the people were in eastern EU, so nothing was understandable listing to their native tounge. 

BMaverick 

--

Kim Ryder

Yes, he does make kits for our Yanmars and provided me a quote. More expensive than the kit from Hoye, but I do like the design. He has a video of his granddaughter driving a YM330D:

Recently I installed a power steering kit on a Yanmar 330D.  While the 330D is a bit larger tractor then then your 2210, however, the steering components are much the same.  My granddaughter volunteered to demonstrate the ease of steering on the Yanmar while I taped the effortless steering...with a heavy load of dirt in the loader bucket.   And while I am not a professional with the video camera, you can get an idea of how easy the 2210 would turn with a JPS steering unit installed on it.   Here is the Video:

Kim

On Apr 9, 2021, at 1:26 PM, BMaverick <bmaverick@...> wrote:

Kim, 

WOW.  I just searched for Jackson and got amazed by their product line.  Sure, they specialize with the older Fords, yet this page of product offerings would offer solutions for Yanmars and John Deeres. 
Jackson Power Steering | Archive | Steering Components 

Thank you for providing the hint!  

Anyone else used Jackson's products here in the community?  Feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

I know as we get older, turning that wheel isn't as nice when once young.  

Yanmar offered OE PS one a few models, both US and gray market made machines.  There is a design flaw for 'leaks'.  Even the Hoye kits are not sold anymore or just the longest out-of-stock listings on their site.  

I watched a M-F retrofitted with PS, but the people were in eastern EU, so nothing was understandable listing to their native tounge. 

BMaverick 

--

Winston Linda Maberry

Mr. Ryde,  Probably won't be appreciated but I feel obliged to comment on your front tires turned in the widened position. You are putting extra stress on your front axle assembly. Comment not meant to be ugly. 

Kim Ryder

LOL, no problem! I have truly learned so much from you on TBN, so your advice is always welcomed! The tires are what came on the tractor and were brand new. They are not really wider than the tires that come on the turf tire kit. 

Thank you for taking the time to reach out and comment.

Kim

On Apr 9, 2021, at 3:36 PM, Winston Linda Maberry <mabe1945@...> wrote:

Mr. Ryde,  Probably won't be appreciated but I feel obliged to comment on your front tires turned in the widened position. You are putting extra stress on your front axle assembly. Comment not meant to be ugly. 

Winston Linda Maberry

Not sure we are understanding each other. I'm not talking about the tire width. The wheels are turned around for a wide stance. Need to swap sides with them without turning them around. 

Kim Ryder

Oh, I see what you’re saying. Mine aren’t turned around at all. I don’t need any wider stance…but I understand the stresses incurred on the front end when one does that (some of the cars/trucks that I see on the road where offset wasn’t even considered and the wheels are hanging out of the wheel wells by about a foot drive me nuts!). I did need to add about a 1/2-inch spacer only so that the wheel/tire combination would clear the steering arm. 
Were you responding to my earlier post about the power steering?
The tractor in the video isn’t mine…it was one that Roland Jackson put his power steering system on…I looked at it again, and it does appear that the front (and rear) wheels were turned around on that green tractor.

Here’s mine before I added the ROPS:

Here’s the spacer I used:

And for laughs, my old Belarus (Vladimeric)

…and I will continue to thank you for all of your contributions to our Yanmar family, you are truly a font of information!

With kindest regards,
Kim

On Apr 10, 2021, at 11:59 AM, Winston Linda Maberry <mabe1945@...> wrote:

Not sure we are understanding each other. I'm not talking about the tire width. The wheels are turned around for a wide stance. Need to swap sides with them without turning them around. 

Winston Linda Maberry

My bad, had the wrong owner. Yes, I was referring to the green tractor in the video. Please accept my apologies, Winston.    

Kim Ryder

Not a problem, Winston!  I truly appreciate all that you bring to this (and other) tractor forums!

With kindest regards,
Kim

On Apr 11, 2021, at 7:56 AM, Winston Linda Maberry <mabe1945@...> wrote:

My bad, had the wrong owner. Yes, I was referring to the green tractor in the video. Please accept my apologies, Winston.